So I have a new goal... it's to post to this blog at least once a week. I find myself having thoughts throughout the week about the kingdom, and it's time to start consistently posting them to this blog. So get ready for this.
My most recent thought occurred while I was talking to a friend, and the conclusion of our conversation was this: "True transformation cannot happen apart from Jesus Christ." As we seek justice and transformation of our communities, as we work to bring the poor out of poverty, to find reconciliation between people who have previously been at odds with each other, to counsel the hurting, we seek change. We want to see communities look more like God's kingdom. However, there is a limit to how far this transformation can go apart from people having a personal encounter with Jesus Christ . I think of some of the clients at my shelter. I want to see them get permanent housing, I want to see them get jobs. And ultimately, I want them to submit their lives to Christ, so that they can experience the full freedom that only He can bring. How to offer that transformation to individuals within the context of social services, I still haven't figured out. But at least at this point, I know that it's important, I know that my work is only partially complete apart from people submitting their lives to Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
welcome back, jonny! i'm sure you both have stories to tell and more great photos, too. thanks for sharing how God's speaking to you in your present workplace. i'm looking forward to hearing what He's got for your future! ><>Keri
Hey Jonny, long time no debate!
My only concern is summed up by Shakespeare.
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Post a Comment