Friday, December 15, 2006

Why I created this blog



I have been thinking the thoughts that are in this blog for a very long time. I just have not had a place to express them. I have been going to church, I went to seminary, and I now work in the non-profit world, and I have found that we struggle to wrap our minds around what it really means for Jesus to be King. We do not know how to flesh out His kingdom in our everyday lives. Many of us have relegated His kingdom to spiritual things and to church. And so we show up on Sundays and go to small groups, and try to live lives that reflect His Kingship during the rest of the week. When we think about people in this world experiencing the hope of God's kingdom, we offer them this new spiritual reality, one in which they invite Jesus to be Lord of their lives. And we invite these people to join our churches, and to participate in our spiritual kingdom activities. There are also those who have noticed a disconnect. They notice that these inner spiritual changes do not always translate into social responsibility or racial harmony. They notice that Jesus' kingdom must touch all areas of our lives. It must touch our jobs, it must impact our social structures, it must impact injustices that are happening towards kids and victimized women. Jesus cannot be King only of our churches and our individual lives. He must also be King of our systems as well. And these people can be found working with the poor, with the orphan, with children at risk, and with issues such as human trafficking, homelessness, and racial injustice. I have found that the people who pursue justice are not always the same as the ones who invite others into a new spiritual kingdom. People I went to school with talk about how they used to be so passionate about "evangelism", but how they have abandoned this passion for something seemingly greater: social responsibility and justice. It grieves to me to think that Jesus would be King of our social systems, but not necessarily King of our individual lives. However, it is also tragic to see so many churches pursue only spiritual activities, without taking care of the widow, the oprhan, and the poor. And it is my passion to see people who would strive to bring this whole earth under the rule of Jesus. And so that is why I am writing this blog, so that we can figure out a way to practically flesh this out. I must admit that I am no expert, and that I do not have a degree in the Kingdom of God... but I work full-time with the poor, and I have spent a lot of time in the church (my dad is a pastor, I went to seminary). So... read on, and hopefully Jesus will show up even as King of this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SO AWESOME JONNY that i want to throw up!!! hahaha...
YES!!! I offically made your first comment!!! whaoo....vania